I feel your pain - it is confusing indeed!
HIFU (high intensity focused ultrasound) treatments are used for skin tightening/lifting for anti-aging purposes.
HIFU is a type of technology and goes by several brand names (which will affect prices/costs).
The 3 most common types of HIFU are Ultraformer 3, Ulthera and Sygmalift (in no particular order). This list is non-exhaustive as HIFU devices will continue to be introduced into Singapore.
Prices of HIFU treatments in Singapore (Full Face treatment)
Ultraformer 3: $2000 to $3000 (1 session that lasts 6 - 12 months)
Ulthera: $2300 to $4000 (1 session that lasts 6 - 12 months)
Sygmalift: $500 to $700 (3-5 sessions at 3-4 weeks intervals, followed by maintenance sessions)
What affects costs of HIFU treatments in Singapore?
1. Treatment Regions
- The prices above are for full face treatments. HIFU can be used for full face as well as the neck.
- Doctors/clinics commonly break down the treatments into bite size treatments for smaller areas like "eye region" and "lower face".
-These smaller regions can cost from $450 to $800 for Ultraformer/Ulthera treatments.
Tip: For "Lower face" treatments, check if the under-chin area is included, as "lower face" may mean different things at different clinics!
2. Doctor's Skill & Experience
- The Doctor's Skill affects the effectiveness of the HIFU treatment.
- Well-trained and experienced doctors may use techniques such as vectoring to achieve better results. These specialised techniques are acquired from years of training and experience.
- Naturally, HIFU treatments by an expert doctor will be more costly.
3. Brand of HIFU
Although both are HIFU devices, Ulthera tends to be slightly pricier than Ultraformer.
4. Number of Shots
There are standard recommended protocols for the number of HIFU shots to each region of the face.
Clinics may customise the protocols and differ in the number of HIFU shots.
Tip: ask for the rough number of HIFU shots. An experienced doctor should be able to advice you on the number of shots required based on your facial analysis. If you have more severe saggy skin, you will require more HIFU shots, which will be more expensive!
Note: It is only useful to compare the number of shots amongst clinics that offer the same brand of HIFU. For example, the recommended number of Sygmalift shots will differ from the recommended number of Ultraformer shots.
5. Treatment protocols
Sygmalift requires multiple treatment sessions whereas Ulthera and Ultraformer requires only 1 session every 6-12 months.
For HIFU treatments that require multiple sessions, do note the total cost of the treatment package instead of 1 treatment session alone.
6. Consultation Fees
Consultation is essential before the HIFU treatment. The listed prices of HIFU treatments may not be inclusive of consultation fees. Consultation fees range from $50 to $150.
Hope that this helps!
Dr Justin Boey