Where should I go to confirm a diagnosis of PCOS in Singapore?

Doctor's Answers 2

Besides the symptoms you’ve described, irregular periods are one of the other hallmark signs of PCOS.

In Singapore, PCOS is most commonly managed and followed up annually by gynaecologists, as there are some associated risks with PCOS, such as diabetes and heart disease.

Because the diagnosis of PCOS requires a couple of bloods tests (looking at your hormone levels) and an ultrasound scan (to look for cysts in your ovary), gynaes are typically the ones who perform the ultrasound scan to confirm PCOS (some polyclinics in Singapore have that capability as well to confirm or rule out the diagnosis before referring you on).

In your case however, it may be worth while seeing a GP or polyclinic doctor first, who can screen if PCOS is indeed likely from your history/menstruation cycle, and then refer you on if necessary.

Skipping straight to see your gynae is certainly an option too if you are in a hurry to get PCOS diagnosed or ruled out.

I agree that seeing a gynaecologist directly might make the most sense as regardless of history taking by the GP, the ultimate confirmatory diagnosis is still ultrasound of your ovaries. They would be better placed to discuss with you on treatment modalities.

Similar Questions

Is it possible to get rid of acne permanently if one has PCOS?

Yes, you are right in that acne scar treatments should be commenced once acne has resolved and become quiescent. Acne scar treatments such as fractional CO2 laser can also cause scarring if there is active ace and secondly; ongoing acne can cause new scars to form. PCOS is a condition that troubles many when it comes together with acne as the local skin factors are also affected by systemic hormonal issues. Besides oral contraceptives, anti-adrogenic medications like Spironolactone can be helpful.

Photo of Dr Rachel Ho

Answered By

Dr Rachel Ho


Are there any alternatives to Diane-35 for PCOS, acne, and heavy periods?

You should visit your gynaecologist for check up, blood tests and ultrasound scan of your pelvis to confirm the diagnosis of PCOS and to exclude other causes of irregular, painful, and heavy menses. Your gynaecologist can give you advice and treatment plan based on your test results and ultrasound scan report. Studies have shown there is slight increased risk of breast cancer in women who are taking oral contraceptive pills. The risk is higher in those women who have strong family history of breast cancer or abnormal breast cancer gene.

Photo of Human

Answered By


Ask any health question for free

I’m not so sure about a procedure...

Ask Icon Ask a Question

Join Human

Sign up now for a free Human account to get answers from specialists in Singapore.

Sign Up

Get The Pill

Be healthier with our Bite-sized health news straight in your inbox