Is it recommended to remove benign fibroadenoma in the breast?

Doctor's Answers 1

Photo of Dr Jipson Quah
Dr Jipson Quah

General Practitioner

Fibroadenomas are among the most common non-cancerous (benign) breast lumps in young women. They typically present as painless, highly mobile and firm nodules within the breast.

Mammograms and breast ultrasounds are often used for further evaluation depending on the risks, and diagnosis can be confirmed by core needle biopsy or excision biopsy.

A fibroadenoma may be monitored for long-term stability, or removed by vacuum-assisted needle biopsy (VAB) or surgery.

Simple fibroadenomas do not increase the risk of breast cancer. However, it may be difficult to differentiate a large fibroadenoma from the phyllodes tumour, another type of breast tumour, based on ultrasound or even core needle biopsy.

If the latter is suspected, surgical excision with a margin to completely remove the tumour is recommended. Please see your doctor for a review if you detect a breast lump on self-examination.

Similar Questions

Could I have throat cancer if I have a persistent sensation in throat?

Thank you for your question. From the clinical history that you provided, I agree with the doctor whom you saw and with Dr Winston Lee that your symptoms are suggestive of acid reflux from the stomach. Specifically, since your symptoms are mostly in the throat, it is called Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR). The most likely reason that you have a feeling of something stuck in the throat or a feeling of a “lump” in the throat (aka as globus sensation) is due to swelling of the voicebox (larynx).

Photo of Dr Eng Cern Gan

Answered By

Dr Eng Cern Gan

ENT Doctor

What should I do about an abnormal PSA result at a health screening?

There can be other causes for raised PSA other than cancer, like prostate inflammation, infection, benign enlargement or perineal region trauma. The first step is to rule out all these reasons that may be causing the elevated PSA. Should there be a need for more advanced measurement of PSA parameters, your physician can further advise. It would be good for you to see a urologist for a full clinical consultation and examination before proceeding further.

Photo of Human

Answered By


Ask any health question for free

I’m not so sure about a procedure...

Ask Icon Ask a Question

Join Human

Sign up now for a free Human account to get answers from specialists in Singapore.

Sign Up

Get The Pill

Be healthier with our Bite-sized health news straight in your inbox