If initial symptoms such as Depression or Anxiety happens, who should I seek treatment from first, a Neurologist or Psychiatrist?

Doctor's Answers 1

That is a very good question. If the anxiety or depression symptoms are because of Parkinson's Disease, I would suggest the person to sees a specialist in Parkinson's Disease first, because sometimes optimizing the medication helps with symptoms of anxiety, so when the Parkinson's Disease is better controlled the anxiety improves.

I also want to mention that in some patients where the medication is optimised but the patients have very severe anxiety attacks, it can feel like someone is sitting on the chest and they are unable to breathe, it is a very strong and uncomfortable sensation, we have done DBS on these patients and those symptoms have gone away.

Similar Questions

Are there any alternatives to anti-depressants for severe depression and anxiety?

Thanks for your question, and I’m very sorry to hear that you are going through such a horrible time. I can only imagine how tough it must be. Before I answer further, I’m going to give the caveat that it’s next to impossible to offer advice about any psychiatric problem without seeing you face to face, or at the very least, having all the salient information about mood, sleep, suicidal ideation etc. I’m going to assume off the bat that the diagnosis of depression has been established by the doctors you’ve seen.

Photo of Dr Shi Hui Poon

Answered By

Dr Shi Hui Poon


How do I get help for mental illness in Singapore if I can't afford it?

If you are attending a school, you can approach the school counsellor for help. You can also approach a family physician for help. The doctor will then assess your condition and then treat you at the clinic or refer you to the appropriate facility. You can also seek treatment at the polyclinic. There are social workers at various hospitals in Singapore and they will assess your financial status and assist you in whatever way that is possible.

Photo of Dr Beng Yeong Ng

Answered By

Dr Beng Yeong Ng


Ask any health question for free

I’m not so sure about a procedure...

Ask Icon Ask a Question

Join Human

Sign up now for a free Human account to get answers from specialists in Singapore.

Sign Up

Get The Pill

Be healthier with our Bite-sized health news straight in your inbox